Sunday, January 26, 2014

My Friend 11:11



Soon after the passing of my Mom, I began to notice something happening to me.  It seemed like everywhere I looked, I saw 11:11.

11:11 on the cable box
11:11 on the computer
11:11 on the microwave
11:11 on the clock radio
11:11 on my cell phone

I looked it up on the internet and found everything from "Make a wish!" to "it's a wake up call."  Some far out nuts claimed that it was satanic in nature.  I don't believe that last one, because it came from someone who is a little too superstitious for my taste.

The wake up call theory confused me the most?  "Waking up from what?"  I thought.  It didn't make any sense, and for a while, every sighting of 11:11 would just confuse me.  I would stare at the clock radio/cable box/microwave/cell phone, etc.  and not know what to do.  Do I make a wish?

Of course, in trying to come up with a good wish, I fell short.  There are many things that I would like to wish for, but it felt wrong.  It felt fake.  Also, by the time I came up with one, it was 11:12.  I assumed the window of opportunity had closed.

Eventually, I began to welcome 11:11 with open arms, and with each sighting, I would smile the biggest smile at it.  It was like seeing an old friend.  It was the highlight of my morning or evening.

One other explanation was that it is a way for those who have passed to communicate with you.  So I believed that for a while, and it seemed to intensify.  It would happen every day for weeks.  I told coworkers, family members, and they didn't seem to understand.  I often felt very stupid and alone when talking about this with other who have not experienced it.  Maybe I wasn't supposed to say anything.

Some would argue that it's subconscious, that my brain became used to it, and that I was ready to look at the clock at that particular time, even though I was in the middle of doing something else.

One morning, I was getting ready to go for a jog.  By this point, I come to expect 11:11 to appear, as if it was a phone call.  I tried to time it, so that I would be back in the apartment by the time it happened.   Finally, I shook my head and said, "This is ridiculous now."

So I got ready for my jog, and just as I was about to leave, I realized that I forgot my watch.  As I turned to go to the bedroom, my eyes locked on the cable box.  11:11

Perhaps the most interesting appearance came when I was on vacation in the Poconos.  The clock radio in my room was set incorrectly, and I estimated that it was off by about 15 minutes.  I never got around to resetting it, because I didn't have to.

One morning, I woke up and looked at it.  11:11.  So if an incorrectly set clock can do this, then I think there is something more to it.

It's stopped for a while now, so I'm not sure what it was all about.  I'm kinda hoping it comes back.  


No comments:

Post a Comment