Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day and the LOA

The great thing about the Law of Attraction is that it has changed my perspective on a lot of different things.  

In case you've been living under a rock, today is Valentine's Day.  Depending on the status of your relationship, this can be anywhere from a mildly amusing day to absolute hell.  

The rage I have witnessed over this silly holiday never fails to amuse, because it's so out of proportion.  There's no obligation to buy a boat load of gifts for people you can't stand, you don't have to cook a big meal, there's no traveling involved, no mandatory religious ceremonies to attend, and yet, people act like they have just been falsely accused of grand larceny.  Typically, Valentine's Day means flower deliveries at work and an overpriced dinner out.  

Sure, it's corny, and everything is marked up 175%  for the day, but is it really worth all the indignant shouts of disapproval?  The fiery debates, the sheer hatred for a holiday based on the concept of love?  The blithering, self-righteous proclamations of "Fuck Valentine's Day!"  I swear, some of these Valentine's Day haters could moonlight as jihadists.

I'm tempted to ask these people, "What's the problem?"  But I won't, because I understand it.  Also, because they're usually armed with pitchforks and flaming torches, and they've got nacho cheese stuck in their teeth.

When I was single, I used to hate this holiday just like everyone else.  If you professed to like it, you would be the butt of jokes and subject to ridicule, so I got sucked into the mob-mentality and went along for the ride, but it always felt "off".  

These days, there aren't many things I find myself saying that I "hate."  That word has changed meaning for me, particularly because I understand the power of love vs. hate.  Love makes good things happen.  Hate breeds more misery.  Which would you rather have?

It's usually single people who complain the loudest about this holiday, and it is a reflection of their own self hate.  They see themselves as unlovable, and can't stop to imagine a better life for themselves.  They think that the world hates them.  They have spent the last 364 days complaining about how bad their lives are, so they think of this day as their excuse to vent even louder.

I know this, because I used to feel this way myself.  

I've struggled with self esteem most of my adult life.  I used to think, "There are so many groups that I could be a part of, yet those people seem to shun me."  I didn't understand why I didn't "fit in" with any group that I shared things in common with.  I felt like an outcast, and this just left me feeling crappy and unworthy.  I blamed all those people for shunning me, for making me feel like an outsider.  Residual damage from high school days that I'd sooner forget.

And then, one day, it hit me.  It's not them... it's me.   As much as I fought off this initial realization, it made perfect sense.  Unless I was a serial killer who preyed on newborns, the odds of being singled out for shunning by so many different groups of people was pretty damn slim. 

It was me, my negativity, my self loathing (which I somehow believed to be a part of me).  

So, if you find yourself complaining about being single on Valentine's Day, maybe it's a good opportunity to take a good long look at yourself.  Are you angry all the time for no reason?  Do you hate everyone and everything?  Are you stingy?  Selfish?  Rude?  Petty?  Vindictive?  Do you make excuses for your failures?  Do you blame others as soon as something goes wrong? 

All of these are symptoms that you are stuck in a pattern of negativity.  You can get out of it, but you have to believe that you can.  Manifest a better tomorrow for yourself.  Starting right now.  

And remember: candy will be on sale tomorrow.  See?  Things are looking up already.

No comments:

Post a Comment